HistoryThe Boynton was originally a small tavern in the 1930's most often frequented by Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) professors, students and the general neighborhood population. (Not too much different from today!) The name "Boynton" seems to have been the popular name of choice during a bygone era. Nearby is Boynton Street, Boynton Hall (the main administration building of WPI), and Boynton Park. You may or may not know that the frequent use of the name "Boynton" originates from John Boynton, one of the founding fathers of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. John Boynton used his life savings to establish a school to provide a scientific education to the youth of Worcester.
In 1969, James John and his wife, Irene, purchased the tavern. In 1980, they added a full restaurant to enlarge their offerings by purchasing the dress shop next door and doing some obvious construction to the property. March of 2004 marked a huge transformation for the Boynton as major renovation took place and the John family now operates one of the finest kitchens and a bar with the most sophisticated tap systems in the city. (51 beers on tap including 3 cask ales!)
Although we have gone through many changes since the 30's, two things have remained the same: The longtime name of the tavern/ restaurant and the high quality and freshness of the goods sold here. As always, we offer great food at great prices.
Thanks for stopping by!